This is the Theodio Podcast. History’s greatest theologians brought to life. A journey of theology and audio, exploration and discovery.
Theodio is a place where we bring history’s greatest theologians to life in new ways for a new generation. Our first series features “Precious Remedies against Satan’s Devices” by the 17h century Puritan, Thomas Brooks.
In this episode
- We introduce the idea behind Theodio
- Explain where the idea came from
- Talk about what to expect from this episode and series
- Explain how to become a Premier Subscriber to Theodio
- Podcast introduction: Yabo Obien
- Logo design: Jeff Lyons and Light & Story
- Original music: Makeup and Vanity Set
- Kindle version of Precious Remedies against Satan’s Devices by John Hendryx at Monergism.com
- Text for Precious Remedies provided by GraceGems.org
- The Expulsive Power of a New Affection and A Divine and Supernatural Light on SoundCloud
Thank you for listening to the Theodio Podcast. My name is Dan Kassis, and I am the creator of this thing that I call Theodio.
You may be wondering: “What is this? Theodio? That’s a funny name.” Yeah it is. it’s a combination of theology and audio.
I want to share with you a little bit of the history of how this project came to be. In 2013 I lost my full-time job. This was the push I needed to get into the world of voiceover work and audiobooks. I’ve produced 14 audiobooks [correction from the podcast file] for audible.com. Search my name in the search engine and you’ll see the books I’ve produced [and one more I narrated but did not produce; DK].
About a year later I decided I wanted to give a gift to my pastor. He had mentioned he was a big fan of a sermon by the Puritan pastor Thomas Chalmers: The Expulsive Power of a New Affection. So I thought, why not create an original recording of the sermon and give it to him? So I created it and gave it to him, and he loved it. And I loved creating it!
I thought, why not do it again? So I asked him, what’s another favorite sermon of yours? And he said: Jonathan Edwards’ A Divine and Supernatural Light. So I did that one too.
Doing this work was so much fun. Taking these old theological works and recreating them in high-quality audio was something I really enjoyed. And then it dawned on me: Why couldn’t I do more of this? There are countless numbers of sermons and works of theology and essays out there that I can record and bring out of the darkness and into the light of new digital technologies. And that is when Theodio was born.
I decided to make this a “full-time side project.” A continual effort to bring great works of theology back in ways that are accessible to new audiences, in places where they are.
You may be listening to this podcast right now in your car, in your earbuds while you’re going for a run, mowing the lawn, washing dishes, whatever it is you do while you listen to podcasts. That’s the place I want to bring this great body of classic theology. Because I don’t think enough people are reading and engaging with it any longer. That’s something I want to change. It’s something I wanted more of, and I thought there are probably a lot of people out there who wanted it, too.
Classic theology: the problem and solution
People would like to be reading classic theological works, but there are three primary reasons why they don’t.
- They don’t think they have enough time to devote to these books. And some of them do take quite a bit of time. You can’t just breeze through a lot of theological books. You have to sit and ingest them and think about them, and actively engage your mind as you read.
- They find the deep concepts these works communicate, the archaic language they convey, the historical references they contain that don’t connect with you any longer – they’re intimidating.
- We don’t believe these works are relevant to 21st century life.
My goal with Theodio is to overcome these barriers by providing three primary solutions
- The blog post series. You can see the work I’ve done to blog my way through the first book in the Theodio series, Thomas Brooks’ Precious Remedies against Satan’s Devices. These articles break down these classic works in plain language. I develop modern analogies and offer practical application and insight. I’m reviving these old works for a new audience.
- I’m going to offer original audiobooks and things like this podcast to provide another medium through which you can experience these resources. And eventually ….
- I’m going to produce original study guides based on my work through these books. They will provide you and study groups with a modern channel for applying this old wisdom in new ways.
Theodio is a journey
Theodio is, to me, a journey. I don’t qualify as an expert in classic theology. It’s certainly not something I’ve studied extensively. But as I explore these rich resources for the first time, it would be fun to invite you along with me on this journey as I learn and explore. My hope is that as we learn together, Theodio will become a premier destination for you and others who love these old books and who desire to encounter them in new ways in a rich and deep community.
Here’s what I’d like you to do next:
Please subscribe to the Theodio Podcast. Each episode will have its own page at theodio.com/podcast. There will be show notes. I give credit to everyone involved in the production. Any articles or blog posts I reference in the episode will be included in the show notes. I believe in hiring great people to do great work for me, because I want Theodio to be all about excellence. I don’t want to deliver to you anything less than an excellent product.
I’d like to hear from you also. You can submit a comment to me on any blog post.
But the most important thing to me is this: go to the homepage and sign up to be a Premier Subscriber.
- You’ll get my occasional newsletters that announce when I publish a new blog post.
- More importantly, you will be eligible for discounts on products I release, such as the upcoming full, unabridged, unedited audio edition of Precious Remedies. I’ll be sharing a lot of that audiobook in this podcast, but not the whole thing. If you want to hear all of it, please become a Premier Subscriber.
- You’ll be eligible for the best discount on this audiobook when it releases, as well as future products such as study guides and other audiobooks, for life.
- The benefits will continue as long as you maintain your membership. That’s my guarantee to you.
Thank you so much for listening to this opening episode of the Theodio Podcast. Next time we’re going to delve into the audiobook. I’ll introduce it briefly, and you’ll hear the first segment of Precious Remedies. I hope you’ll join me again.